2018 Conference Schedule and Topics
Communication Central’s annual Be a Better Freelancer® conference, held every autumn, offers a wealth of information and resources for colleagues seeking to launch or improve their editorial businesses. Presentations by experts in various aspects of the field range from the practical, such as using key tools of the trade, to the conceptual, such as developing marketing and networking systems.
Each conference day (9 a.m.–6 p.m. Eastern time, Friday, September 21, and Saturday, September 22, 2018) features continental breakfast, two concurrent morning presentations, lunch and networking time, two sets of two concurrent afternoon sessions each, and more time for networking. Dinner outings will be arranged (not included in registration fees). Download a PDF with session/presentation times.
On Sunday, September 23, there will be a workshop (additional fee) from 9 a.m.–12 noon on “Beyond Copyediting: Expanding Your Freelance Business to Include Developmental and Line Editing,” featuring Nancy Marriott and Susannah Noel of the Editorial Arts Academy.
Conference topics and presenters include:
- Get Your Website Live in Two Hours Flat, Victoria Brzustowicz
- The Magic of Macros, April Michelle Davis
- Typography 101, Dick Margulis
- Marketing Your Freelance Business for Greater Success, Adrienne Montgomerie
- Dealing with Challenging Clients, Ann Kellett
- Freelancing as a True Business, Pamela Hilliard Owens
- Working with Self-publishing Authors, Dick Margulis
- Organizing Your Business for Greater Success, April Michelle Davis
- Getting the Gig by Writing Your Life, Brenda C. Siler
- SEO as Your Star Editorial Omnipresence, Chris Morton
- Create More Freedom in Your Freelance Business, Ally Machate
- Make Your Own Luck: Fire Up Your Marketing, Chris LaForest
For information about this year’s speakers, go to Speaker Bios.